There are two kinds of Hadith compilations: musannaf and musnad. In musannaf collections, hadiths are recorded under various headings dealing with juridical subjects. The most famous musannaf collections are:
- Sahih Al-Bukhari (d. AH 256/870 CE)
- Sahih Muslim (d. AH 261/874 CE)
- Sunan An-Nasa’i (d. AH 303/916 CE)
- Sunan Abi Dawud (d. AH 275/889 CE)
- Sunan At-Tirmidhi (d. AH 279/892 CE)
- Sunan Ibn Majah (d. AH 273/886 CE)
In musnad collections, hadiths are arranged alphabetically under the names of the Companions on whose authority these hadiths were reported. An example of this kind is Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal (d. AH 241/855 CE).