Fasting is one of the greatest acts of worship, and the reward of the one who fasts, seeking thereby the reward of Allah, is not known to anyone except Allah. The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, said: ‘Every deed of the son of Adam is for him, except fasting. It is for Me and I shall reward for it.’” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (1904) and Muslim (1151)
The Ramadan fast is one of the pillars of Islam, and the Muslim must pay attention to preserving his fast, whether it is obligatory or supererogatory, so that Allah may bestow upon him this abundant reward.
There are many Sunnahs with regard to fasting, of which we will mention some:
1. It is Sunnah, if someone reviles the fasting person or tries to fight him, to respond to his mistreatment with kindness and to say: “I am fasting.”
2. It is Sunnah for the fasting person to eat sahoor (pre-dawn meal), for sahoor is a blessing (barakah).
3. It is Sunnah to hasten to break the fast, and to delay sahoor.
4. It is Sunnah to break the fast with fresh dates; if he cannot find any, then he should break his fast with dried dates. If he cannot find any dates, then he should break his fast with water.
5. It is mustahabb for the fasting person to say, when he breaks his fast:
“Dhahaba al-zama’ wa abtalat al-‘urooq wa thabata al-ajr in sha Allah (Thirst is gone, the veins are moistened and the reward is certain if Allah wills).”.
6. It is mustahabb for the fasting person to offer a great deal of supplication (du‘aa’), because the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “There are three whose supplication will not be rejected: the just ruler, the fasting person until he breaks his fast, and the supplication of one who has been wronged.”
An-Nawawi (may Allah have mercy on him) said: It is mustahabb for the fasting person to offer supplication whilst fasting with regard to what concerns him of the hereafter and of this world, for himself, for those whom he loves, and for the Muslims.
7. If it is a Ramadan fast, then it is mustahabb to do the following:
– To sit in the mosque to read Qur’an and remember Allah (dhikr)
– To observe i‘tikaaf in the last ten days
– To pray Taraweeh
– To give a great deal of charity and do a great deal of good deeds
– To study the Qur’an.
Al-Bukhaari (6) and Muslim (2308) narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was the most generous of people, and he was at his most generous in Ramadaan when Jibreel used to meet him. He would meet with him every night in Ramadaan and revise the Qur’an with him, and the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was more generous in doing good than the blowing wind.
And the fasting person should not waste his time in doing things that are of no benefit or no use – and may adversely affect his fast – such as sleeping a great deal, jokingly a great deal, and so on. He should not make eating different kinds of food and drink his main concern. All of that will prevent him from doing a great deal of good deeds whilst fasting.
This is MuQeet.
Author. Educator. Soft Skill Trainer. Freelancer. Editor.
YasSarNalQuR'aN is my primary blog.
There are two other amazing blogs:
Subscribe if you wish to stay connected, InshaaAllah.
I am trying to sprinkle some drops from the oceanic life and noble teachings of the greatest man in human history, who is also the most revered, the most honoured, the most loved, the most remembered, the most influential, the most praiseworthy, the most successful, supreme trail-blazer of humanity.....
Invoking salutations and blessings upon the Last and Final Messenger is enjoined upon Muslims!
"Certainly, Allah and His Angels do send greetings upon the Prophet, O those who Believe, you too, send sincere greetings and salutations upon him". (Al Qur'an 33:56) Sal-lal-laahu 'Ala Muhammad, Sal-lal-laahu 'Alaihi Wasallam
“The Sunnah is like the Ark of Noah. Whoever embarks on it reaches salvation and whoever refuses, is drowned”. Imam Malik
"LAA ILAAHA IL-LAL-LAAH, MUHAMMADUR RASOOLULLAH". This no ordinary declaration is in fact the most revolutionary statement on earth! A soul-stirring, earth-shaking proclamation! That which makes falsehood shiver in its shoes! That which sends shock waves to the oppressor's heart! A conscious proclamation that transforms ruffians into finest gems of highest quality! A proclamation that brings utmost satisfaction to the believer's heart! This concise declaration is the Manifesto of Islam, the Marrow of all teachings of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) who spoke words of surgical precision, whose simple yet splendid belief and teachings brought about a spectacular revolution in the history of all times! -- MuQeet