The hadeeth on two blessings is so deep! Subhanallah!
This Hadeeth on health and leisure must be shared with everyone, especially in the Era of Coronavirus!!
Ibn Abbas narrates that the Messenger of Allah said:
نِعْمَتَانِ مَغْبُونٌ فِيهِمَا كَثِيرٌ مِنَ النَّاسِ، الصِّحَّةُ وَالْفَرَاغ
“There are two blessings which many people lose: Health and free time* Sahih al Bukhari
What do you think would be the reason that led the Messenger of Allah say this?
The Arabic word Maghboon comes from the root Ghayn-Baa-Noon which means “to forget, to be lacking in judgement, to deceive, to weaken” (Dictionary of Qur’anic Usage)
The root ‘Ghayn-baa-noon’ – means “to cheat, dupe, gull, defraud, overreach” and Maghboon means “deceived, defrauded, cheated, gulled, duped, prejudiced, wronged, injured” (Hans Wehr Dictionary of Modern Arabic)
Obviously, the Messenger of Allah was highlighting this careless nature of man: he finds leisure time, but then hardly uses it for beneficial purpose; he finds himself healthy but then don’t even realize that he being hale and healthy is actually a grace from Allah, and that he need to show gratitude by using it for productive purposes.
And you see, man, when he loses both – health and leisure time – he feels and regrets a lot!
The Messenger of Allah using the phrase Katheerum minan-naas points out that this nature of man is universal. Subhanallaah!
And this is what we are witnessing today!
May Allah bless us with sound health and the urge to utilize time for the benefit of oneself and the society at large.
Dear reader, given below are some questions for you to think, reflect and come up with your creative and critical thinking.
- Why is health a blessing in the first place?
- Why did the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) put health and free time together?
- Some people say, ‘Holidays are boring’. How can you explain to him that ‘leisure time’, ‘free time’ or ‘holidays’ are in fact a blessing from Almighty Lord?
- In what way most people lose health and leisure and get deceived?
- Suggest some ways for the effective and efficient use of health.
- Create a Mind Map on ‘The Productive Use of Leisure’.
- How can you justify that health and leisure are two great blessings of Allah upon man?
- Evaluate the loss man and his society will face should he continue to ignore the value of these two blessings.
- How can you be grateful to your Lord for blessing you with health and free time?
- Invent/Device a method or a tool through which man can maintain his health and at the same time use leisure for human welfare.
If you can share your inputs, it will help me to add substance….inShaaAllah